Saturday, February 4, 2012
Show a little book love
Valentine's Day is coming up--the day we make an extra effort to show love to the people that mean the most to us. This year, think about the authors of the books you love. Of course, the best way to support authors is to buy their books. But you can do an author a HUGE favor by taking a few simple steps beyond that. You'd be surprised to know how much it means to an author when readers take time to show their public support.
1. Write a positive book review and post in on Amazon.
2. Write a positive book review (you can even copy and paste the one you used in step 1) and post it on Goodreads, Shelfari, or barnes&noble.com.
3. Click the "like" button on Amazon.
4. Tweet about how much you enjoyed the book. Include the author's Twitter name if possible.
5. Make a short positive comment about the book or the author on Facebook.
6. Ask your local library to carry the book if they don't already do so. Many libraries have suggestions cards specifically for this purpose.
7. Buy the book as a gift for a friend or family member. For a thrifty alternative, see suggestion #8.
8. Give/lend your copy of the book to someone you think will enjoy it. And ask them to pass it on when they're done.
9. Use the power of word of mouth. Tell someone, somehow, some way, how much you liked the book.