Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Guest Post by Kasey Tross


Let me introduce you to Kasey Tross, another children's writer from Richmond. Kasey wrote this post for National Poetry Month, which is April, but I'm a little late posting it. Luckily, it's perfect for May, the month we honor mothers. Here's Kasey . . .



KT: Thanks to Lana for giving me the opportunity to post here at Richmond Children's Writers! I am just about as new as new can be in the writing world, but after having 3 kids (soon to be 4) and always having a love for reading and writing, I am beginning to find my place. 

My current WIP is a book of children's poetry geared toward children in the Latter-day Saint (aka, "Mormon") community. As many have recently learned thanks to the national political campaign, we live a lifestyle that can be seen as being quite different from those outside of our faith and I wanted an opportunity to capture that from the eyes of a child. The poetry collection contains both religious and secular poetry, all of which have a lighthearted- and often humorous- tone. 

In celebration of National Poetry Month, I have selected two poems from the collection to share with you:


When Jesus was a Kid

When Jesus was a kid,
I’ll bet that He was smart.
I’ll bet that He was really good
At music and at art.
I’ll bet that He got picked
To be on every team.
I am sure that He played fair
And never would be mean.
I’ll bet He did His homework
First thing every night.
Certainly He checked it twice
To make sure it was right.
I’m sure He helped his mom
With cleaning and with chores.
I’m sure He always wiped his feet
When coming through the door.
His friends would surely smile
Whenever he came ‘round.
I bet that He would help you up
If He saw you fall down.
I’m really far from perfect,
But I’ll do as He did
So I can be like Jesus was
When Jesus was kid. 


Mommy’s Little Helper

I like to help my Mommy with the cleaning and the chores.
I use our nicest towels to clean messes on the floors.
When I find Mommy’s keys I go to put them right away.
I know that she won’t lose them in my special hiding place.
Some sticky candy on the floor will make my Mom a grouch;
I always help by stuffing it real far down in the couch.
My Mommy says that junk is all that she gets in the mail,
So any envelopes I find go in the garbage pail.
I do my work in secret so that nobody can see.
I wonder what my mom would say if she knew it was me?

 Happy National Poetry Month, everyone! 

 To read more of my writerly ramblings, please check out my blog, The Beautiful Thrifty Life (www.thebeautifulthriftylife.blogspot.com), The Silly Mom (www.thesillymom.blogspot.com) and Mormon Mommy Writers (www.mormonmommywriters.blogspot.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment